Report: Leeds United 1-1 Derby County

Report: Leeds United 1-1 Derby County

Whites concede late leveller.

Sky Bet Championship

Leeds United 1 (Lowe O.G 29)

Derby County 1 (Martin 90+2)


Leeds: Casilla, Dallas, Cooper, White, Berardi, Phillips, Shackleton, Klich, Harrison (Costa 58), Hernandez (Douglas 73), Bamford (Nketiah 79).  Subs: Meslier, Roberts, Berardi, Gotts.

Derby: Roos, Malone, Clarke, Holmes, Keogh, Lowe, Huddlestone, Bielik (Paterson 61), Jozefzoon (Knight 83), Marriott (Martin 73), Waghorn. Subs: Hamer, Dowell, Davies, Buchanan.


Referee: O. Langford

Booked: Jozefzoon, Holmes, Martin, Huddlestone (Derby)


Venue: Elland Road

Attendance: 34,714 (1,024 Derby)


A late Derby County equaliser, saw Leeds United have to settle for a point at Elland Road in the Sky Bet Championship, despite dominating for the majority of the match.

Leeds were handed the first chance inside six minutes, Pablo Hernandez latched onto a poor pass from Derby goalkeeper Kelle Roos and his ball across the face of goal was cleared for a corner with Patrick Bamford ready to pounce.

Two minutes later some good build up play led to Jack Harrison with possession in the Derby box, with his attempt superbly blocked by Matthew Clarke.

Harrison again went close when he was found following a low Hernandez cross, but once more Derby defended well, with his effort ricocheting just wide.

Leeds took the lead in the 20th minute following a free kick.  Kalvin Phillips delivered from the left and Bamford played the ball back across the face of goal.  Stuart Dallas then fired at goal and was denied by Roos, but his save hit Max Lowe and rebounded into the back of the net, to erupt Elland Road.

Dallas almost got a goal of his own soon after, he hit a lovely strike from 25 yards, but Roos turned over with a really good save.

Hernandez then played Dallas in on goal and he slotted past the out-coming Roos, but this time the Derby defence got back to prevent the ball from crossing the line.

With Leeds in complete control Harrison tried his luck from distance forcing Roos into action once again.

Ezgjan Alioski found Bamford with a fine through ball from the left, with the forward controlling superbly, but his lobbed effort went over the crossbar.

Jamie Shackleton saw a goal ruled out, with Dallas offside in the build up, before Bamford again went close before the break, hitting a 20 yards strike just wide.

Half time: Leeds United 1-0 Derby County

Leeds came very close to doubling the lead two minutes into the second half, Dallas put a low ball into the box from the right and Bamford under pressure from the Derby defence saw his first time strike unluckily bounce out off the post.

Bamford tested Roos in the 58th minute after doing well to create room for a shot from a narrow angle, but he couldn’t get the better of the Derby stopper.

Leeds were awarded a penalty 11 minutes later when Bamford weaved his way into the Derby box before being felled.  Mateusz Klich, who scored from the spot last week against Barnsley stepped up, but put the penalty wide.

Substitute Eddie Nketiah had a chance to give Leeds a second goal when he was found by an Alioski cross, but he couldn’t direct an attempt on target.

Derby almost levelled with two minutes of regular time remaining, Kiko Casilla appeared to be fouled when attempting to get to a cross and the ball headed for goal, but Phillips was on hand to clear.

In stoppage time, though, Derby did equalise, Lowe did well to keep the ball in play on the right flank, his cross found Jamie Paterson who teed up substitute Chris Martin to level.

Full time: Leeds United 1-1 Derby County