Whites exit Carabao Cup.

Carabao Cup Fourth Round

Leicester City 3 (Iheanacho 30, Slimani 71, Mahrez 88) Leeds United 1 (Hernandez 26)

Leeds United exited the Carabao Cup as Premier League side Leicester City ran out 3-1 winners at the King Power Stadium.

Head coach Thomas Christiansen made ten changes from the side which beat Bristol City at the weekend, with the Whites having a league fixture with Sheffield United at Elland Road on Friday evening, as Pablo Hernandez captained the Whites.

The Whites had a fine chance to take the lead when Jay-Roy Grot played a great one-two with Kemar Roofe, before breaking into the penalty area, but his shot from a narrow angle was well saved by Ben Hamer.

Roofe then threatened with a bending effort from the edge of the box, forcing Hamer into another save.

Kalvin Phillips then took on a half volley from 25 yards, but he could only put his effort over the crossbar.

The Whites took the lead in the 26th minute, Pablo Hernandez went one way, then the other, before pinging a wonderful strike which found the back of the net via the crossbar, to send the 3,000 travelling contingent wild.

United’s lead lasted less than four minutes though, Felix Wiedwald came out to stop Islam Slimani who was racing through on goal, but he could only direct the ball into the path of Kelechi Iheanacho who found the bottom corner.

Leicester almost took the lead after a good counter attack, Demarai Gray struck a low effort just wide from 25 yards.

Two minutes before the break Gray again threatened, he unleashed a strike from 25 yards, which had Wiedwald beaten, but not the crossbar.

Half Time: Leicester City 1-1 Leeds United

Luke Ayling was introduced at the break after Cameron Borthwick-Jackson picked up an injury at the end of the first half, he had an immediate impact putting a cross into the back post, Pawel Cibicki rose well and forced Hamer into a good stop with a header.

The threatening Gray again went close for the Foxes when he made space for himself on the edge of the box, calling Wiedwald into action.

A poor back-pass then caught Wiedwald out of position, Slimani then teed up Andy King, but he couldn’t take advantage of the situation, firing wide.

Just after the hour mark Slimani had a great chance to put the home side in front, Marc Albrighton dinked a neat cross to the back post, but the striker could only head wide from inside the six yard box.

Leicester went in front 19 minutes from time, Vicente Iborra’s through ball sent Iheanacho into the box and he teed up Slimani, who made up for his miss ten minutes earlier by tapping home.

Leeds had a chance to level in the 82nd minute, Ayling put a lovely cross into the box, but Roofe couldn’t find the target.

The home side then wrapped up the win, when substitute Riyad Mahrez scored a fine solo goal, he drove forward before firing home from the edge of the box, to ensure United’s Carabao Cup hopes came to an end.

Full Time: Leicester City 3-1 Leeds United


Leicester: Hamer, Iborra, Dragovic, Maguire, Chilwell, Albrighton (Mahrez 65), Amartey, King, Gray, Iheanacho (Vardy 81).  Subs not used: Musa, Jakupovic, Ulloa, Ndidi, Fuchs.

Leeds:  Wiedwald, Anita, Jansson, Shaughnessy, Borthwick-Jackson (Ayling 45), Phillips (Vieira 72), Klich, Roofe, Hernandez, Cibicki (Sacko 65), Grot.  Subs not used: Lonergan, Pennington, Lasogga, Alioski.


Referee: L. Probert

Venue: King Power Stadium

Attendance: 31,516