Bartley and Hernandez on target in Yorkshire derby victory at Elland Road...

United 2 (Bartley 36, Hernandez 54), Barnsley 1 (Winnall 70)

United team: Green, Ayling, Bartley, Jansson, Taylor, Phillips, O’Kane, Hernandez (Roofe 84), Dallas (Vieira 89), Sacko (Antonsson 75), Wood. Subs not used: Silvestri, Coyle, Cooper, Mowatt.

Barnsley team: Davies, Roberts, MacDonald, Scowen, Kpekawa, Kent (Bradshaw 82), Hourihane, Yiadom, Hammill, Armstrong (Watkins 65). Subs not used: Townsend, White, Jackson, Morsy, Lee.

Referee: Simon Hooper

Booked: Taylor (United)

Att: 27,350 (2,413 Barnsley) 

Goals either side of half-time from Kyle Bartley and Pablo Hernandez were enough for United to claim a 2-1 Yorkshire derby victory at home to Barnsley on Saturday afternoon.

Bartley turned home a near-post corner from Hernandez to open the scoring after 36 minutes, before United’s on-loan Spaniard got in on the act to double the advantage with a cool finish shortly after the restart.

Sam Winnall pulled one back from close-range for the visitors to set up a somewhat nervy finale, but United were good value for the three points and entered the second international break of the season sitting 11th in the Sky Bet Championship table.

Garry Monk’s side looked to start on the front foot and take the game to Barnsley during the opening exchanges but were unable to carve an early sight of goal, with the visitors first to call either goalkeeper into action as Rob Green held Adam Hammill’s low effort from the edge of the area.

Josh Scowen and Andy Yiadom both tried their luck from distance for Barnsley but to no avail, while Conor Hourihane and Cole Kpekawa also threatened before Bartley broke the deadlock with his second of the season, getting the decisive touch on Hernandez’s delivery to guide the ball beyond Adam Davies.

United were buoyed and Hernandez saw his well-struck effort held by Davies on the stroke of half-time, before the midfielder was the first to threaten during the early stages of the second period, firing wide from the edge of the area after side-stepping his way into space.

Hernandez duly got the goal he deserved on 54 minutes, though, composedly slotting beyond Davies from inside the area after racing through on goal to put United in the driving seat.

The home fans among the 27,350 inside Elland Road were enjoying what they were seeing and continued to urge their side forward in search of more, with Chris Wood twice firing over after working himself into dangerous positions.

But Winnall was next to find the net with 20 minutes remaining, turning home Kpekawa’s low cross from less than six yards out to suddenly make it a contest again.

Barnsley began to throw men forward but it opened things up for United at the opposite end, with substitute Marcus Antonsson denied by a fine Davies save after being slotted into the area one-on-one.

Rob Green then made a crucial late save with his legs to keep out Hourihane’s volley and Man of the Match Pontus Jansson kept one off the line in the closing stages to ensure United returning to winning ways with a fourth consecutive victory at Elland Road.