Garry Monk's side claim first victory of the season at Hillsborough...

WEDNESDAY 0, UNITED 2 (Antonsson 63, Wood 85) (Hillsborough, 12.30pm kick-off)

Wednesday team: Westwood, Pudil, Lees, Hutchinson, Lee, Abdi (Hooper 45), Hunt (Buckley 72), Wallace (Jones 64), Bannan, Forestieri, Fletcher. Subs: Wildsmith, Palmer, Joao, Sasso.

United team: Green, Ayling, Cooper, Bartley, Taylor, Bridcutt, Vieira, Mowatt (Roofe 77), Sacko (Phillips 87), Antonsson (Doukara 69), Wood. Subs: Silvestri, Coyle, Bamba, Hernandez.

Referee: Simon Hooper

Att: 29,075

Booked: Bannan (Wednesday), Vieira, Bridcutt (United)

Second-half goals from Marcus Antonsson and Chris Wood saw United secure their first Sky Bet Championship victory of the season as Sheffield Wednesday were beaten 2-0 at Hillsborough.

Both sides created good openings during the first half but neither were able to break the deadlock before the interval, with Almen Abdi coming closest for the hosts as his 20-yard free-kick clipped the crossbar.

Antonsson opened the scoring on 63 minutes, though, giving United a lead which they appeared to be good value for,, stooping at the back post to nod Hadi Sacko’s cross beyond Kieren Westwood following a devastating counter-attack.

And Wood wrapped things up with five minutes remaining on the clock, turning home a low cross from substitute Kemar Roofe to spark jubilant scenes among the travelling supporters.

United started brightly and had the afternoon’s first sight of goal as Charlie Taylor’s half-volley was blocked on the edge of the area, but Wednesday soon started to threaten, with Fernando Forestieri and Abdi both sending efforts wide, before Forestieri passed up the best opportunity to net an early opener – dragging wide from inside the penalty box after the ball had fallen fortuitously into his path.

Forestieri was then denied on the line by Liam Cooper’s header from a tight angle after rounding Rob Green, but United started to assert some pressure of their own and an unmarked Wood headed wide from Alex Mowatt’s pin-point cross.

Sacko surged into the area but was just unable to bring the ball under his control in front of the onrushing Westwood following a superb through ball from Ronaldo Vieira, before Antonsson drilled wide from 20 yards out during an encouraging spell from Garry Monk’s side.

Wood then saw his volley blocked inside the area after taking Sacko’s cross on his chest, before Abdi’s free-kick struck the woodwork on the stroke of half-time. 

United started the second half strongly and threatened within four minutes of the restart, Wood seeing his strike blocked on the turn before Sacko fired over after latching onto Antonsson’s back-post cross.

The defence held firm to clear a succession of Wednesday corners as the home fans urged their side forward, but a swift United breakaway led to the opening goal as Sacko picked out Antonsson inside the area to open his Sky Bet Championship account.

At the opposite end, Green was called upon to deny substitute Gary Hooper with his legs following Steven Fletcher’s cutback, before Hooper fired over from range and Forestieri saw his low strike held.

But United were able to wrap things up on the 85th minute as he guided Roofe’s ball into the back of the net with an outstretched leg to seal a first league victory of the season.