United under-18s go down to Liverpool at Elland Road...

Liam Darville in action against Liverpool

Leeds United's FA Youth Cup hopes were ended by an impressive Liverpool side at Elland Road on Tuesday.

It was United's first home game in the competition for almost four years, and the youngsters succumbed to a 2-1 defeat despite a Mike Whitwell equaliser in the first half.

Liverpool have won the competition twice in the past three years, and the Anfield youngsters looked a classy outfit from the off.

Both Lauri Dalla Valle and Tom Ince tested United goalkeeper Ryan Jones early on before Liverpool took the lead on 15 minutes.

Ince, son of Blackburn manager and former Liverpool midfielder Paul Ince, was the scorer with a terrific free-kick from the edge of the area.

The pacey David Amoo was also threatening to cause problems as Liverpool looked a sharp, well drilled outfit, but United were back on level terms before the half-hour.

Aidy White won a free-kick on the edge of the box after his run on goal was impeded by Andre Wisdom and after Sam Jones' free-kick was blocked, Luke Garbutt's follow-up was deflected for a corner.

Sam Jones took the corner, Whitwell showed good movement in the box to work himself the opening - and the United youngster duly headed home the set-piece.

It gave United a foothold in the game, although both Dalla Valle and Ince had opportunities for the visitors before the break.

Dalla Valle also had a chance at the start of the second half with a free header, and on 59 minutes the Finnish striker did restore Liverpool's advantage.

Adam Pepper delivered a corner from the left and Dalla Valle made no mistake with a header which clipped the inside of the post.

Moments later, Alex Kacaniklic had a good opportunity to make it 3-1, but he hurried his shot and failed to hit the target.

United dug in, though, and Will Hatfield tried his luck with a shot from distance on 70 minutes. Sam Jerome and James Baxendale both came off the bench with 18 minutes remaining as Leeds looked to force a way back into the contest.

There was plenty of effort, and United were almost rewarded in the first minute of stoppage time when Liverpool goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis was called into action to make a good stop at the feet of Tom Elliott after good work by Jerome.

But that proved United's final opportunity as Liverpool secured their progress into the fourth round. 

United: R Jones, Darville, Garbutt, Lees, Williams, Milne, Whitwell (Jerome 72), Hatfield (Baxendale 72), Elliott, S Jones (McCann 46), White. Subs: Cairns, Watson.

Liverpool: Bouzanis, Wisdom, Buchtmann, Ayala, Kennedy, Irwin, Amoo (Ellison 70), Pepper, Dalla Valle, Ince, Kacaniklic. Subs: Pourie, Chamberlain, Roberts, Metcalf.

Referee: M Bristow.

See highlights on LUTV's Daily News Show from 6pm (GMT)...