U18s Report: Blackburn Rovers 3-1 Leeds United

U18s Report: Blackburn Rovers 3-1 Leeds United

Whites beaten away from home.

U18s Premier League North

Blackburn Rovers 3 (Ngangou 19’ pen, Chmiel 31’, Duru 90+2’)

Leeds United 1(Douglas 16’)

Blackburn Rovers: Blease (GK), Duru, Powell, Litherland, Olsen, Caddick (Edmondson 63’), Murphy-Worrell, Biniek, Ngangou, Chmiel, Taylor. Subs not used: Doherty, Farkas, Honor, Wilson

Leeds: Mahady(GK), Diboe (Cresswell 75’), Ferguson (Richards 66’), Coleman (C), Godden (Lopata-White, Dawber (Lopata-White 46’), Wilson (McFadden 46’), Crew, Andreucci, Thomas , Douglas. Subs not used: Ombang.

Venue: Blackburn Rovers Training Centre

Referee: P. Roots

Booked: Blease, Edmondson, Powell (Rovers) Dawber, Richards (Leeds)

Sent-off: Thomas (Leeds)

Leeds United’s Under-18s suffered defeat away from home on Saturday lunchtime, despite taking an early lead against opponents Blackburn Rovers.

Connor Douglas had put Scott Gardner’s side ahead with a smart finish, but the home side didn’t take long to respond when Junior Ngangou scored from the penalty spot before George Chimel put Rovers into the lead after a scramble in the penalty area. Leo Duru then got a third in added time to seal the points.

In the opening stages of the game both teams came out with great intensity. Each side had some early chances but it was the Whites who made them count and took the lead.

It came after Ben Andreucci produced a sharp turn in the middle of pitch and threaded a smart ball through the Blackburn defence that found Douglas on the edge of the box, he struck a first-time strike into the bottom corner leaving the Blackburn keeper with no chance.

Minutes later though, Blackburn equalised when Bradley Taylor attacked a looping cross and was pushed in the back which saw the winger go down inside the area, from which the referee pointed straight to the spot. Ngangou stepped up to take and calmly placed the ball into the bottom right corner.

On the half hour mark Blackburn took the lead. It came after Paul Murphy-Worrell played a low cross to Ngangou who turned and struck, Rory Mahady produced a fantastic save but the rebound fell to Chmiel who tapped it into an empty net.

This was to be the last clear chance of the half and the referee blew for the break with the home side ahead.

HALF TIME: Blackburn Rover 2-1 Leeds United

At the start of the second half Gardner’s side were pushing for an equaliser but were unable to unlock the Blackburn Defence, despite having chances.

With 25 minutes to go in the second period, Leeds found their efforts were made harder when Luca Thomas was shown a straight red card.

Looking to capitalise on their one player advantage, Blackburn missed a golden chance when Murphy-Worrell pounced on a gifted opportunity. He had an open goal in front of him, but his effort struck the post and the lead was still only one goal.

The home side had another great chance when the referee pointed to the penalty spot again, after a late challenge from Reuban Lopata-White.

Once again Ngangou took the penalty but this time Mahady impressively saved it with a strong hand, then Taylor followed in and hit an effort goalwards but the Leeds United stopper produced a brilliant save again to deny what looked certain to be a third goal of the game for the hosts.

Just before the full-time whistle, the home side did get their third after the ball fell kindly for Duru to tap home and seal the victory.

This was the final action of the game and it leaves Leeds United in 6th place ahead of their fixture against Sunderland, after the international break.

FULL TIME: Blackburn 3-1 Leeds United