FAYC Report: Cambridge United 2-0 Leeds United

FAYC Report: Cambridge United 2-0 Leeds United

Whites exit the FA Youth Cup.

FA Youth Cup Fourth Round

Cambridge United 2 (Yearn 16’, Njoku 39’)

Leeds United 0

Cambridge: Finch (GK), Lott, Hipwell, Hoddle, Beckett, Nzeh, Bathwaite, McConnell, Njoku (Usman 90’), Yearn, Akanbi. Subs not used: Holden, Chadwick, Scales, Carey-Evans, Kaunda, Brumby. 

Leeds: Christy (GK), Sutcliffe (Wilson 45’), Ferguson, Coleman (c), Mullen (Spencer 45’), Littlewood (Dawber 63’), Thomas, Buchan, Andreucci, Carole, Bradbury. Subs not used: Ombang (GK), Diboe, Douglas. 

Venue: Abbey Stadium

Attendance: 929

Referee: Eji Ejise

Booked: Sutcliffe, Spencer (Leeds)

Leeds United Under-18s went out of the FA Youth Cup against Cambridge United Under-18s in the Fourth Round, at the Abbey Stadium. 

The hosts started brightly in the match and put some early pressure on the Leeds goal, sending bodies forward and showing neat touches. It was Leeds though who had the first real effort on target, with Keenan Carole forcing a good save. 

Down the opposite end, Cambridge again pushed forward and were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the Leeds box, with Harvey Sutcliffe being shown a yellow card for the foul.

From the set-play, Kai Yearn picked his spot and superbly curled home the opener, finding the top corner. The lead was deserved and the Whites now had work to do in the match. 

Scott Gardner’s side managed to carve out two good opportunities whilst trying to respond. Both fell to Lui Bradbury at the back post, but the forward was unable to convert and level the score. 

Six minutes before the break, the home side then extended their lead. Glenn McConnell - who had struck the bar moments earlier - played a neat through ball for Brandon Njoku and the striker did the rest, sliding home his low effort into the bottom corner to make it two.

HALF TIME: Cambridge United 2-0 Leeds United

Leeds made a double change at the interval. Morten Spencer and Marley Wilson entered the action in place of Sutcliffe and Jeremiah Mullen. 

The opening quarter of the second period saw an exchange of attacks, with Wilson looking busy down the wing after his introduction. The pace of the Cambridge forwards looking to get in behind were still the main issue for the Leeds defence. 

When the Whites did have the ball in the net, Ben Andreucci’s clever finish in off the post was ruled out as the forward was adjudged to have fouled opposition goalkeeper Tom Finch in the build up. 

After scoring in the first half, Njoku came close to making it three for his side with a well struck low effort, only to see Christy deny him by tipping it behind at the near post. 

Cambridge saw the game out well in the closing stages and secured their passage into the next round with this two goal victory over the Whites.  

FULL TIME: Cambridge United 2-0 Leeds United