EFL Trophy Report: Barrow AFC 2-2 Leeds United U21

EFL Trophy Report: Barrow AFC 2-2 Leeds United U21

Whites beaten on penalties.

EFL Trophy Group G

Leeds United Under-21s 2 (Dean 11, 38)

Barrow AFC 2 (Angus 63, Taylor 80)

Barrow AFC win 4-3 on penalties

Leeds: Caprile, Davis, Struijk, Drameh, Casey, Jenkins, Summerville, McKinstry (Gibbon 86), Shackleton, McMillan (Galloway 75), Dean.  Subs not used: Van den Heuvel, Moore, Mullen, Bray, Allen. 


Booked: Casey, Drameh, Summerville Davis.


Venue: Holker Street

Attendance: Behind-closed-doors


Max Dean scored twice for Leeds United’s Under-21s, but the Whites suffered a penalty shootout defeat away at Barrow AFC, meaning the host collected two points, with the Whites picking up one in the EFL Trophy.

The hosts had the first chance of the game, with Joshua Kay striking from distance, forcing Elia Caprile into a really good stop.

Leeds took the lead in the 11th minute of the match, Dean latched onto a mistake at the back from Barrow and showed great composure, before smashing the ball into the back of the net.

Leeds almost doubled the lead five minutes later when Mark Jackson’s side caught Barrow on the counter-attack, with Stuart McKinstry’s strike from the edge of the box deflecting just wide.

Kay struck another effort wide from distance for the hosts, before forcing Caprile into another really good save, with a low effort which the Leeds stopper tipped around the post.

In the 30th minute Kay again tried his luck from 30 yards, but once more Caprile refused to be beaten in the Leeds goal.

Leeds doubled the lead seven minutes before the break.  Again the Whites forced a Barrow mistake and Crysencio Summerville did really well, before teeing up Dean to slot home his second.

Chris Taylor fired a half volley over and Summerville saw a big shout for a penalty turned down, as the Whites went in two goals up at the break.

Half time: Barrow AFC 0-2 Leeds United

Leeds started the second half brightly with Summerville forcing a good save from Josh Lillis.

Callum Gribbin curled a free-kick over the crossbar from 20 yards, before he was denied by a good save from Caprile.

Adrian Herd headed wide at a corner, before the Whites had a great chance to extend the lead, when Summerville put in a fine low cross and Dean dummied, but Max McMillan saw his strike denied.

Two minutes later Dean was denied his hat-trick by Lillis, after Summerville put another troubling cross into the Barrow box.

Just seconds after Dean was denied, Barrow pulled a goal back, when the hosts broke up the pitch and Dior Angus rounded Caprile before slotting home.

Caprile denied Angus from range, before Gribbin had the ball in the net for the visitors, but saw his attempt ruled out, after he was deemed to have taken the ball out of play.

Summerville was denied by another fine save, before Pascal Struijk saw a penalty appeal turned down following a Leeds corner.

From the penalty appeal Barrow levelled the game following a counter-attack with Jason Taylor heading home.

Taylor and Dean both saw chances go wide late on, with the game going to penalties.

End of 90 minutes: Barrow AFC 2-2 Leeds United


Summerville scored (0-1)

Angus scored (1-1)

Shackleton missed (1-1)

James scored (2-1)

Galloway scored (2-2)

Taylor missed (2-2)

Gibbon missed (2-2)

Hird missed (2-2)

Dean scored (2-3)

Kay scored (3-3)

Jenkins missed (3-3)

Taylor scored (4-3)

Barrow AFC win 4-3 on penalties