U23 Report: Leeds United 2-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers

U23 Report: Leeds United 2-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Leeds pick up first point.

Premier League 2

Leeds United 2

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2

Leeds: Van Den Huevel, Drameh, Casey (Cresswell 45), Hosannah, Hugglns, McCalmont, Jenkins, Stevens, McKinstry (Gotts 45), Gelhardt, Greenwood.  Subs not used: Caprile, Galloway, McMillan.


Booked: Stevens (Leeds)


Venue: Thorp Arch


It was a game of two halves as Wolves came from behind to earn a point against Leeds United at Thorp Arch.

The Whites had the first chance of the game inside seven minutes, with Joe Gelhardt firing just wide.

Leeds took the lead in the 19th minute.  Sam Greenwood played the ball forward to Gelhardt and he weaved his way through the Wolves defence, before firing low into the back of the net.

The goal sparked Wolves into life and Hugo Bueno drove forwards, seeing his shot superbly blocked by Oliver Casey.

The visitors then had a good chance to level from a Luke Cundle free kick.  His cross found the head of Christian Marques who was free in the box, but he couldn’t guide his effort on target.

Austin Samuels was next to go close for Wolves, when he met Theo Corbeanu’s deflected cross, but could only head wide.

Leeds thought they had doubled the lead with three minutes of the first half remaining.  Niall Huggins drove to the byline and Andreas Sondergaard palmed the ball into the path of Gelhardt, who at full stretch shot and hit the post and with the ball rolling in, it was deemed it hadn’t crossed the line as Wolves scrambled clear.

Corbeanu dragged a shot wide after being played in by Mertian Shabani, before Leeds doubled the lead.  Huggins again did great down the left before finding Sam Greenwood and similarly to Geldhardt, he also hit the post, but this time the ball did cross the line.

Half time: Leeds United 2-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Leeds introduced Charlie Cresswell and Robbie Gotts at the break, but it was Wolves who started the brightest and got back into the match.  Bueno found Corbeanu in the middle of the box and he made no mistake from close range.

Gelhardt looked to restore Leeds’ two goal cushion when he struck a curling effort from 25 yards, but he couldn’t keep it down.

In the 63rd minute, Wolves levelled the scores.  Cundle stole possession and it opened up for him to strike on goal and he found the top corner.

With 10 minutes remaining Leeds nearly regained the lead when Gelhardt played Gotts into the Wolves area.  He was denied by Sondergaard, with the ball falling to Huggins, but he could only turn his attempt wide.

In the closing stages both sides pressed for a winner, Taylor Perry struck over after being played forward by Chem Campbell, before Greenwood picked out Gelhardt who was denied by a good save, as both sides had to settle for a point.

Full time: Leeds United 2-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers