U23 Report: Leeds United 1-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

U23 Report: Leeds United 1-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Whites and Wolves draw at Bootham Crescent.

Premier League Cup Group H

Leeds United 1 (Kamwa 27)

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 (Campbell 76)


Leeds: Caprile, Huggins, Berardi, Casey (Gotts 30), Struijk, Kenneh, Stevens (Hosannah 45), Jenkins, Kamwa, Bogusz (McCalmont 45), Poveda.  Subs not used: Male, Cresswell.


Venue: Bootham Crescent

Attendance: 475


The 2019/20 Premier League Cup campaign came to an end for Leeds United’s Under-23s with a 1-1 draw against Wolverhampton Wanderers in a tightly fought encounter at York City’s Bootham Crescent.

The visitors had the first chance of the game inside four minutes with Renat Dadashov firing just wide from distance.

There was little goalmouth action for either side until a Jordan Stevens cross deflected off Lewis Richards, forcing Andreas Sondergaard into a save.

Leeds took the lead in the 27th minute.  Stevens latched onto a long ball from Mateusz Bogusz and managed to fend off the Wolves defence to tee up Bobby Kamwa who dispatched the chance.

Two minutes after the opening goal, Jack Jenkins almost doubled Leeds’ advantage, firing just wide from range.

The Whites then went close from a set-piece, with Nohan Kenneh forcing a good save with a header following a Niall Huggins corner.

At the other end, Leeds had Stevens to thank for keeping the Whites ahead, when he cleared off the line after Owen Otasowie met a Terry Taylor corner.

Leeds should have gone further ahead before the break when Ian Poveda won possession high up the pitch.  He worked his way through on goal, but scuffed his strike inches wide.

Half time: Leeds United 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Chances were again few and far between in the second half.  Wolves almost got back into the game when Dadashov held up a long ball forward well before teeing up Chem Campbell, but Gaetano Berardi raced back to make a superb challenge and deny the shot.

Wolves again threatened in the 68th minute when Campbell teed up Taylor Perry, but he saw his strike blocked for a corner.

The visitors threatened from a free kick six minutes later, when Perry played a low ball into the feet of Otasowie in the Leeds area, but he couldn’t direct his low strike on target.

Wolves levelled the scores in the 76th minute, with Campbell hitting an unstoppable strike into the top right corner from 25 yards.

With five minutes remaining Wolves almost got a late winner with Richards striking just wide from distance.

Then, in the dying minutes, Richards saw both a header and shot blocked following a Wolves corner as the Whites held on for a draw.

Full time: Leeds United 1-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers