FA Youth Cup Report: Leeds United 3-1 Hull City

FA Youth Cup Report: Leeds United 3-1 Hull City

Whites defeat Tigers to progress.

FA Youth Cup Third Round

Leeds United 3 (Shergill 28, Cresswell 42, pen 70)

Hull City 1 (Jarvis 1)


Leeds: Skerry, Burlace, Cresswell, Kenneh, Shergill, Jenkins (Leverett 45), Galloway, Gibbon, McKinstry (Rubie 87), Haugland, Kumwenda (McMillan 80).  Subs not used: Turner, Fewster, Thornton, Bray.


Booked: Haugland (Leeds), Wood, Lovick (Hull)


Venue: Elland Road


Leeds United’s Under-18s progressed in the FA Youth Cup with a 3-1 victory over Hull City at Elland Road, thanks to a brace from Charlie Cresswell and a fantastic strike by Joshveer Shergill.

It took Hull City just 38 seconds to take the lead, Will Jarvis drove forwards into the Leeds box, before slotting past Cooper Skerry, giving the Tigers a dream start.

Leeds had the chance to level inside five minutes, Dane Burlace whipped in a lovely ball from the right but Niklas Haugland couldn’t convert at the back post.

The Whites came close to an equaliser when Josh Galloway delivered a cross from the right which was met by Stuart McKinstry on the edge of the box, but David Robson denied him with a good stop.

Leeds did drew level in the 28th minute, Shergill produced a moment of magic, working room for a shot, before finding the back of the net with a fabulous finish via the crossbar.

Henri Kumwenda did well to beat the offside trap as Leeds continued to push on, but he couldn’t find the target from a narrow angle.

McKinstry then weaved his way into the Hull box, before firing a shot from a tight angle, but Robson made a decent stop to deny him.

Leeds took the lead three minutes before the break.  Burlace whipped in a corner from the right and Cresswell  met the cross with a bullet header, giving Robson no chance.

Half time: Leeds United 2-1 Hull City

After tempers flared following a late challenge by Harry Lovic, which resulted in a yellow card for Hull teammate Harry Wood, Leeds almost added a third when Cole Gibbon did really well down the right and cut the ball back to Kumwenda, but he couldn’t get the better of Robson who made a fine stop.

Leeds were awarded a penalty in the 69th minute following a fine counter attack.  Gibbon broke up the field superbly before playing Haugland in on goal and he was brought down by Hull’s Josh Ward.  Captain Cresswell stepped up to take the spot kick and made no mistake, netting his second goal of the night.

Leeds almost added a fourth soon after from a free kick, with Burlace striking just wide from 25 yards.

Galloway then put a fine low ball across the face of the Hull box and substitute Max McMillan was just inches away from getting on the end of it.

Haugland saw a free kick denied by Robson and Mason Rubie and Galloway were denied late on as Leeds progressed to secure a fourth round home tie with either Luton Town or Sheffield Wednesday.

Full time: Leeds United 3-1 Hull City