U23 Report: Leeds United 2-0 Barnsley

U23 Report: Leeds United 2-0 Barnsley

Whites get back to winning ways.

Professional Development League

Leeds United 2 (Edmondson 4, Stevens 53)

Barnsley 0

Leeds: Miazek, Hosannah (Berardi 45), Cresswell, Struijk, Douglas (Gotts 45), Casey, Jenkins, Stevens, McCarron, Hernandez (Huggins 45), Edmondson.  Subs not used: Turner, Galloway.


Venue: Thorp Arch


Leeds United’s Under-23s got back to winning ways with a well earned victory over Yorkshire rivals Barnsley, thanks to a goal in each half from Ryan Edmondson and Jordan Stevens.

The Whites made the perfect start to the match at Thorp Arch, when Barry Douglas sent Liam McCarron down the left wing and his low cross was converted by Edmondson.

Barnsley then had chances, both falling to Dylan Mottley-Henry.  His first strike deflected just wide, with his second well saved by Kamil Miazek in the Leeds goal.

Pablo Hernandez saw an effort blocked following a corner, before some good link up play between Douglas and McCarron saw the latter get an attempt away on goal, but he couldn’t get the better of Harrison Davison-Hale.

Douglas then delivered a lovely cross from the left flank and Edmondson teed up Stevens, but he was denied by a good stop from Davison-Hale.

Stevens then went through on goal and rounded Davison-Hale, but then found himself at a narrow angle.  He crossed looking for Edmondson, but it was intercepted and Barnsley cleared.

Just before the break a McCarron cross fell to Stevens on the edge of the box, but he could only fire over.

Half time: Leeds United 1-0 Barnsley

Carlos Corberan made three substitutes at the break, with Douglas, Hernandez and Bryce Hosannah replaced by Gaetano Berardi, Robbie Gotts and Niall Huggins.

Eight minutes into the second period Leeds doubled the lead. Edmondson was in an offside position, but not active with play and the Barnsley defence stopped, allowing Stevens to run through clear on goal, before slotting home with cool.

Leeds were now well on top and Huggins showed good skill before sending Edmondson into the penalty area, but he saw his strike deflect narrowly wide.

At the other end, Kaziam Martin found Elliott Simoes in the Leeds box, but he saw his deflected effort go wide, before some fine build up play from Leeds led to a Gotts strike which was well blocked.

Former Leeds man Clarke Oduor drove forwards for the hosts, finding Martin in the box, but he was unable to keep his effort down.

Barnsley had a great chance to pull a goal back in the 68th minute from a corner, but Sam Fielding headed inches over the bar.

Seven minutes later, from a Leeds corner, Pascal Struijk almost made it three.  His header beat Davison-Hale, but Martin was on the line to clear.

Miazek was called into action to deny Jordan Barnett’s free-kick, before Stevens nearly netted his second of the day, with a fine strike from 20 yards which hit the post.

Stevens was again denied late on by Davison-Hale and Harry Gagen saw a strike go narrowly wide for the visitors as Leeds came away with all three points.

Full time: Leeds United 2-0 Barnsley