U23 Report: Derby County 7-1 Leeds United

U23 Report: Derby County 7-1 Leeds United

Whites suffer heavy away defeat.

Premier League Cup Group H

Derby County 7 (Sibley 11, 17 pen 69, Bennett 22, Hector-Ingram 29, 80, Bird 61)

Leeds United 1 (Galloway 90+3)


Leeds: Miazek, Burlace, Davis, Struijk (Cresswell 64), Casey, Jenkins, Gotts, McKinstry (Galloway 62), Stevens, McCarron (Hudson 76), Edmondson.   Subs not used: Skerry, Huggins, Hudson.


Booked: Davis


Venue: Loughborough University Stadium


Leeds United were on the end of a heavy defeat on the road, as Derby County hit seven against the Whites in the Premier League Cup.

Derby went close early on when Jayden Mitchell-Lawson won the hosts a free kick just over 25 yards from goal.  Kieran Dowell struck the resulting set-piece, with his strike going just inches wide of Kamil Miazek’s goal.

The hosts again threatened in the sixth minute when Louie Sibley played Jahmal Hector-Ingram through on goal, but Kamil Miazek made a brave low diving save, to stop the Derby forward in his tracks.

Derby took the lead five minutes later, when Leeds failed to clear the danger, Sibley was found in space in the Whites box and he smashed home from close range.

Moments later Sibley had the opportunity to double the lead for the Rams when he was played through on goal, but Miazek made a superb save to deny him.

The impressive Sibley then worked himself room for a shot in the Leeds box, but Miazek was again on hand to produce a fabulous stop, tipping his powerful effort over the bar.

Derby went further ahead in the 17th minute when Oliver Casey gave the ball away to Sibley and his mistake was punished, as the Derby forward found the top corner.

Sibley drove forwards in search of a third and was denied by Miazek, before the Leeds stopper denied Hector-Ingram’s curling effort, with Ethan Wassall heading over the resulting corner.

Mason Bennett added a third in the 22nd minute, finishing a lay-off with a first time finish into the right corner.

Bennett then forced Miazek into another good save from distance, before Jason Brown fired a volley just wide from the resulting corner.

Soon after Derby added a fourth after catching Leeds on the counter attack.  Sibley played Jayden Mitchell-Lawson forwards and he teed up Hector-Ingram who fired home.

Shibley and Dowell forced Miazek into further saves before the break, with the home side cruising at the interval.

Half time: Derby County 4-0 Leeds United

Derby continued in the same vain in the second half, with Max Bird working room for a shot on the edge of the box, with Miazek turning his effort around the post.

The Rams added a fifth in the 61st minute, after playing on with Pascal Struijk down injured, Bird fired from distance and his swerving strike got the beter of Miazek.

Things got worse for Leeds when Sibley broke forwards and into the box, before being felled by Jack Jenkins.  Sibley stepped up to take the spot kick, completing his hat-trick.

Jordan Stevens stole possession and looked to pull Leeds back a consolation goal when he struck from range, but he couldn’t get the better of Josh Barnes.

Davis then delivered a neat cross from the left, but Ryan Edmondson couldn’t get the better of Barnes with his header.

With 10 minutes remaining Hector-Ingram netted his second goal of the game and Derby’s seventh as Dowell teed him up on the edge of the box and he found the bottom corner.

Substitute Josh Galloway pulled a consolation goal back for Leeds in stoppage time, but overall it was a miserable night for the Whites.

Full time: Derby County 7-1 Leeds United