U23s Report: Leeds United 1-1 Burnley

U23s Report: Leeds United 1-1 Burnley

Match report from Elland Road.

Professional Development League

Leeds United 1 (Edmondson, 24)

Burnley 1 (Benson 62)

Leeds: Meslier, Shackleton (Gotts 45), McCarron, Casey, Strujik, Cooper (Davis 45), Stevens, McCalmont, Edmondson, Bogusz, Clarke (Roberts 45). Subs not used: Miazek, Jenkins

Venue: Elland Road

Leeds United Under-23s shared the spoils with visitors Burnley, despite going ahead through Ryan Edmondson early on.

The first chance of the game fell to Edmondson who was picked out by Jack Clarke who got to the byline, but couldn’t find the target.

Minutes later, McCarron had an effort from just outside the box, which was blocked well, before Clarke got to the byline again and teed up McCarron whose effort was saved by Lukas Jensen.

Leeds took the lead in the 24th minute as McCarron whipped in a fantastic ball for Edmondson, who guided his header superbly into the bottom right hand corner.

Soon after Lewis Richardson had the ball in the net for the visitors, but his effort was ruled out as he strayed offside.

Burnley went close again, moments later as Rob Harker's header from six yards out flew over the crossbar.

The Clarets then had another chance to equalise through Josh Benson but his free kick went straight into the wall.

Half Time: Leeds United 1-0 Burnley

Burnley flew out of the traps in the second half, with Ali Koiki giving the Whites a warning by hitting the crossbar.

Another Burnley chance then fell to Scott Wilson, whose close range header was saved magnificently by Illan Meslier.

Burnley then found their way back into the game as Pascal Strujik fouled Richardson in the box and the visitors were awarded a penalty, with Benson converting calmly past Illan Meslier from the spot.

The Whites nearly got back in front as McCarron crossed for Edmondson but he couldn’t direct his header goal bound.

Substitute Joel Mumbongo went on a fine solo run as Burnley looked to get a winner, but Meslier saved well down to his left to deny him.

Leeds’ final chance of the evening came when Robbie Gotts floated a ball in for Oliver Casey but his back heel went inches over the bar.

Full Time: Leeds United 1-1 Burnley