U23 Report: Leeds United 1-2 Crewe Alexandra

U23 Report: Leeds United 1-2 Crewe Alexandra

Match report from Thorp Arch.

Professional Development League North

Leeds United 1 (Gotts, 71)

Crewe Alexandra 2 (Finney, 22, 36)

Venue: Thorp Arch

Leeds United: Meslier, Douglas (Cresswell, 35), Davis, Casey, Ayling (Berardi, 35) , McCalmont, Bogusz, Gotts, Clarke (Temenuzhkov, 45), McCarron, Edmondson.  Subs: Skerry, Huggins, 

Despite a second half goal from captain Robbie Gotts, two goals from Oliver Finney were enough to give Crewe Alexandra the three points

After a quiet first 15 minutes the first shot of the game came from a Crewe counter attack, in which Conor Heath forced Meslier into a routine save.

The visitors opened the scoring on the 22nd minute mark following some brilliant play from Oliver Finney who smashed the ball into the top corner.

Leeds had their first chance of the game from an indirect free kick inside the box following a back pass. Jack Clarke quickly got a shot away after a Barry Douglas a lay off, but the Crewe goalkeeper saved well.

After a Crewe free kick on the edge of the box the ball fell to ex-Leeds midfielder Paul Green who struck the post from close range. Crewe retrieved the ball and won a penalty, Finney took it and got his second of the afternoon, as he calmly slotted the ball into the corner.

Leeds almost found an instant response minutes before the break but Mateusz Bogusz saw his free kick narrowly whistle past the post.

Half Time: Leeds United 0-2 Crewe Alexandra

Leeds came out the traps quickly in the second half and Edmondson broke through the Crewe defence and played Gaetano Berardi in on goal, but the defenders shot was saved.

Leeds applied more pressure as Leif Davis whipped in a tremendous ball but Edmondson's header was well saved by David Richards in the Alexandra net.

Substitute Berardi floated a ball into the box from the right wing and Liam McCarron headed towards goal but was denied after another great save from Ricahrds.

Davis was instrumental again as he crossed the ball into the box which fell to Kun Temenuzhkov whose volley went just wide.

With 19 minutes left, Leeds pulled a goal back as Edmondson fed Gotts through on goal, who slotted the ball underneath the goalkeeper.

Leeds searched for an equaliser as Mateusz Bogusz picked up the ball on the edge of the box and unleashed a shot, but his strike flew over the crossbar. Gotts also tried his luck from distance but his shot sailed past the crossbar.

Leeds kept pressing late on and had a flurry of corners with the best chance falling to Charlie Cresswell who rose above his defender but his header narrowly missed the target.

Crewe hung on despite constant pressure from Leeds in the second half and Leeds were condemned to their second defeat of the season.