Magpies defeat the Whites.

Premier League Cup


Newcastle United 2 (Sorensen 29, Wilson 90+2)

Leeds United 0


Leeds: Miazek, Struijk, Casey Diaz (Edmondson 87), Davis, Burlace, Nicell, Brown (Dalby 81), Oduor, Stevens (Bamford 45), Temenuzhkov.  Subs not used: Rea, Wollerton.


Venue: Whitley Park

Referee: J. Johnson


A goal in either half from Elias Sorensen and Adam Wilson secured Newcastle United all three points in the Premier League Cup at Whitley Park.

Izzy Brown stepped up his comeback from injury by starting the match, whilst striker Patrick Bamford was also named on the bench.

Chances were few and far between in the first period, Mo Sangare tried his luck for the visitors, but couldn’t find the target.

Leeds’ first opportunity came when Leif Davis teed up Brown, but his effort deflected safely into the arms of Newcastle goalkeeper Nathan Harker.

Brown went close to breaking the deadlock in the 23rd minute.  Hugo Diaz knocked a long ball into the Newcastle box and Brown at full stretch got a volley away, but his attempt went inches wide.

Newcastle took the lead six minutes later.  Thomas Allan beat the offside trap before crossing low from the right wing and Elias Sorensen slotted home from close range.

Leeds had half a chance from a corner, when a poor punch from Harker fell to Oliver Casey, he teed up Brown on the edge of the Newcastle box, but he couldn’t get his effort through a crowd of Magpies defenders.

The Whites had a great chance to level in first half stoppage time, Leif Davis put a lovely cross into the Newcastle box from the left flank which Kun Temenuzhkov got on the end of, but he scuffed the chance wide.

Half time: Newcastle United 1-0 Leeds United

Bamford was introduced for the Whites at the break, making his first Leeds appearance since September, following a knee injury.

Temenuzhkov again went close to scoring for Leeds in the 54th minute, Dane Burlace teed him up to strike from 20 yards and his low effort went narrowly wide.

Some lovely build up play lead to a chance for Burlace who saw an effort well blocked, before Davies got to the byline, before firing the ball across goal, but no Leeds player could get on the end of it to convert.

Brown almost pulled Leeds level in the 71st minute, he controlled a fine cross-field pass by Burlace with his chest before firing at goal from the edge of the box, with his effort just off target.

Eight minutes later Brwon had another opportunity following some more good build up play.  Clarke Oduor teed up the forward to strike from 20 yards, but he couldn’t keep his effort down.

Sam Dalby replaced Brown nine minutes from time and he almost had an impact, he got his head on the end of a cross from Davis, but couldn’t find the target.

Newcastle’s Matthew Longstaff weaved his way into the Leeds box and he got a return ball from substitute Adam Wilson, before slotting home, but a late offside flag denied him.

In stoppage time the Magpies sealed the win, Wilson broke through on goal, before firing past Miazek.

Full time: Newcastle United 1-0 Leeds United