Leeds let slip of two goal lead.

Professional Development League


Leeds United 2 (Younger O.G. 28, Roofe 56)

Burnley 2 (McNeil 68, Younger 72)


Leeds: Blackman, Shackleton, Berardi, Diaz, Struijk, Davis (Nicell 63), Forshaw, Baker, Clarke, Dalby (Gotts 87), Roofe (Stevens 70).  Subs not used: Miazek, Nicell, McCalmont.


Referee: M. Barlow

Venue: Elland Road


Burnley came from two goals behind to secure a point against Leeds United at Elland Road.

Carlos Corberan named a strong side, with Gaetano Berardi and Kemar Roofe starting and making comebacks from injury and regular first team players Lewis Baker and Adam Forshaw also involved.

Baker had the ball in the back of the net inside five minutes, he provided a first time volley which lobbed Burnley goalkeeper Adam Bruce, but the offside flag ruled out his fine effort.

Berardi unleashed a strike from 30 yards as he looked to break the deadlock, but couldn’t find the target.

Forshaw then was just inches away from giving Leeds the lead with an effort from 20 yards, with his strike nearly finding the top corner.

Following some good build up play, Berardi crossed from the left and found Baker who provided a glancing header, but his attempt went wide.

Roofe then saw a strike deflect wide and from the resulting corner, Baker delivered, Berardi headed at the near post and Ollie Younger could only turn the ball into his own net.

Burnley had a chance to eqaulise in the 33rd minute, Jamal Blackman came out as Tinashe Chakwana entered the Leeds penalty area and made the save.

Some more fine build up play from Leeds led to Berardi picking out Baker in the Burnley box, he was denied by a brilliant save from Bruce and his rebound was well blocked.

Roofe then looked to get Leeds a second when he cut inside from the left into the penalty area, but he could only strike over.

In the closing stages of the first half Burnley had the opportunity to level, Hugo Diaz was caught in possession and Dwight McNeil played Dan Agyei into the Leeds area, but he put his effort over the bar.

Half time: Leeds United 1-0 Burnley

After the break Baker tried his luck from 25 yards and he forced Bruce into action, with the Burnley goalkeeper making a low stop.

Eight minutes into the second half Chakwana went through on goal for the visitors, but Blackman made a super save to keep Leeds in front.

The Whites doubled their lead in the 56th minute, Jamie Shackleton found Roofe with a good ball into the Burnley box and Roofe provided a neat finish into the bottom corner.

Burnley again continued to threaten though despite the second Leeds goal, Koiki struck just wide from the edge of the box.

Baker forced Bruce into a good save, before the visitors pulled a goal back, McNeil drove down the left side of the pitch before finding the back of the net with a nice finish.

Four minutes after the first goal, Burnley levelled, Younger who had put Leeds ahead made up for his own goal, by powering a header beyond Blackman.

Leeds pushed for a winner in the closing stages, Forshaw saw an effort deflect wide following a neat lay off from Berardi, before the midfielder provided a flick-on header following a cross by Jordan Stevens, but no Whites player could get on the end of it as the two sides had to settle for a draw.

Full time: Leeds United 2-2 Burnley