Whites suffer away defeat.

Crewe Alexandra (Reilly 17, 83) Leeds United (Wilks 74)

Leeds United’s Under-23 winning streak came to an end, as Carlos Corberan’s side were narrowly beaten by Crewe Alexandra. 

The Whites got off to a good start, Oriol Rey went close with a low effort from 25 yards, forcing a fine save out of David Richards, who turned the ball around the post.

Oliver Finney went close for the home side, he was played into the box, but could only fire wide.

Mallik Wilks then had a good chance following an Alex Machuca corner, but he could only fire a half volley over the crossbar.

Wilks continued to cause problems, he squared the ball to Oliver Sarkic, but his effort deflected just wide.

Crewe took the lead in the 17th minute, Tyler Denton made a great block to prevent Lewis Reilly from scoring, but when the ball went out to the left flank and back into the box, the Crewe striker headed home, beyond Leeds stopper Bailey Peacock-Farrell.

Leeds almost hit straight back when Wilks went through on goal, but he was denied by a super Richards save.

Sarkic then went close with an effort from the edge of the box, but he couldn’t keep his effort down.

Crewe could have gone further ahead before the break, Charlie Kirk’s low cross was met by a Regan Griffiths glancing volley, but he couldn’t find the target.

Half Time: Crewe Alexandra 1-0 Leeds United 

After the break, Bryce Hosannah made a great overlapping run and was played into the area by Machuca, but could only fire over from a narrow angle.

Machuca then forced Richards into action with a powerful effort from the edge of the box.

Denton put a good cross into the box from the left flank, but Sarkic could only head the opportunity over the bar.

Leeds continued to press for a leveller, Hosannah again went close, firing just wide, across goal.

Against the run of play, Reilly beat the offside trap to go through on goal, he fired a half volley from the edge of the box and his effort was only denied by the crossbar.

Leeds levelled the scores 16 minutes from time, he made room for a strike inside the Crewe box, before firing home, low across goal.

However, it took Crewe less than 10 minutes to level, Paudie O’Connor gave away a free-kick 25 yards from goal, left of centre and Reilly superbly found the top left corner.

Leeds threw the kitchen sink at Crewe in the latter stages, with chances for Wilks and Sarkic, but neither could get an equaliser, as the home side held on for the win.

Full Time: Crewe Alexandra 2-1 Leeds

Leeds: Peacock-Farrell, Denton (Shackleton 87), O’Connor, Diaz, Hosannah, Vieira, Rey, Machuca (Pearce 70), Sarkic, Clarke, Wilks.  Subs not used: Male, Oduor, Balboa. 

Venue: Alexandra Park