Whites edge thrilling encounter.

Professional Development League

Leeds United 4 (Stokes 11, Sarkic pen 51, Vieira 56, Kitching 73), Hull City 3 (Keane 39, Luer pen 67, Luer 90)

Leeds United edged a seven goal thriller at Thorp Arch, defeating Hull City 4-3 in the Professional Development League.

The Whites started brightly, Eoghan Stokes got up well to a Mallik Wilks cross, but his header was denied by a superb Callum Burton save.

United took the lead inside 11 minutes, Stokes drove up-field and had options to his left and right, but let fire from the edge of the box and found the back of the net with a brilliant strike into the left corner.

Bryce Hossanah then did well to break into the Hull box and Leeds searched for a second goal, he got to the byline, but his pull-back was just behind Wilks.

Hull came into the game after the 20 minute mark, Will Keane did well to latch onto a through ball, but Kamil Miazek kept Leeds in front with a fine save.

Leeds again had Miazek to thank, when Will Annnan got to the byline and squared to Keane Lewis-Potter, but the United stopper denied him from point blank range.

Keane again had another chance, when once more he went through on goal, but again he couldn’t get the better of Miazek.

Six minutes before the break, the visitors were awarded an indirect free-kick in the Leeds box and Miazek was shown a yellow card for time wasting.  Hull took full advantage, with Keane’s deflected effort finding the right corner, to level the scores.

Hull then had the chance to take the lead when through Greg Leur, but once again Maizek was on hand to deny the Tigers.

In first half stoppage time Stokes played Wilks into the Hull box with a fine through ball, the striker cut inside before firing low and he was only denied by another great save from Burton.

Half Time: Leeds United 1-1 Hull City

At the start of the second half Leeds had the chance to regain the lead, when Wilks was felled in the area and the Whites were awarded a penalty.  Oliver Sarkic, who completed his permanent move from Benfica to sign for United ahead of the game, stepped up and scored from the spot, to put Leeds back in front.

Hosannah did well to break into the Hull area once again and tee up Sarkic for a possible second, but his effort deflected just wide.

However, two minutes later, Leeds went further ahead, Sarkic teed up Vieira on the edge of the box and he found the net with a fine strike, via the post.

Just after the hour mark, Leeds were reduced to ten men.  Goalkeeper Miazek got caught out and brought down Leur in the penalty area.  He was sent off and Hull were awarded a spot kick of their own, which Leur converted past substitute stopper Harrison Male.

Six minutes after Hull’s goal though, Leeds restored their two goal cushion, Tom Pearce whipped in a free-kick from the right flank and Liam Kitching’s glancing header found the bottom left corner.

Oriol Rey almost added a fifth, but his low effort from the edge of the box was tipped around the post by Burton.

The visitors did pull a goal back in stoppage time, when Leur slotted home a pull back from Billy Chadwick, but United held on for all three points and a second successive victory in the division.

Full Time: Leeds United 4-3 Hull City

Leeds: Miazek, Hosannah, Pearce, Diaz, O’Connor, Kitching, Rey, Vieira, Wilks (Balboa 89), Sarkic (Male 67), Stokes (Machuca 61).  Subs not used: Clarke, Odour.

Sent Off: Miazek 

Venue: Thorp Arch