Whites start 2018 with win.

Professional Development League

Leeds United 2 (Stokes 52, Machuca 76) Burnley 1 (Aygei 62)

Leeds United’s Under-23s made a winning start to 2018, thanks to goals from Eoghan Stokes and Alex Machuca at Thorp Arch.

After a closely fought opening period, Mallik Wilks, who recently returned from his loan spell with Accrington Stanley, went close in the 15th minute, he tried to latch onto a long through ball forward, but Burnley goalkeeper Conor Mitusu won the race, to intercept.

Burnley had a good opportunity when Tunds Bayods picked up a loose ball in the Leeds half, he looked to square the ball to Dan Ayegi, but Bailey Peacock-Farrell made a vital save.

The visitors then went close from a free-kick, Rahij Nabi forced Peacock-Farrell into a decent stop from the set-piece.

Leeds had the best chance of the first half, just after the 30 minute mark, Machuca got to the byline and teed up Stokes and he was only denied by a super save.

Bayods then went through on goal for the Clarets, but Peacock-Farrell was aware and made a vital interception.

Leeds then went close from a set-piece, Stokes delivered into the box and Wilks headed just wide.

Two minutes from the break, Wilks did really well to reach the edge of the box, his cross then took a deflection and almost found the back of the net, but for the crossbar.

Half Time: Leeds United 0-0 Burnley

Leeds had a great chance just after the restart, Bryce Hosannah made a great run forward and he was played through on goal, but could only find the side netting.

United took the lead seven minutes into the second half, Stokes picked up the ball on the right flank, superbly weaved his way into the area, through the Burnley defence, before firing home.

Stokes almost doubled his tally from a free-kick, but he was denied by a good save from Mitusu.

Burnley then drew level, just after the hour mark, Peacock-Farrell made a great double save to deny Tinasus Chakwana and Nfumba Hassanka, but he couldn’t prevent Aygei from scoring.

Leeds almost restored the lead through Callum Nicell, he drove forward, before firing just over from the edge of the box.

Burnley were then reduced to ten men, Wilks was played through on goal, but was felled on the edge of the box by Clarets goalkeeper Mitusu, who was shown red.  Stokes fired the resulting free-kick just inches wide, into the side netting.

The Whites took advantage of the extra man and Machuca found the net, with a fine low effort from the edge of the box, which found the bottom left corner.

United then saw out seven minutes of added time, to ensure 2018 began with three points.

Full Time: Leeds United 2-1 Burnley


Leeds: Peacock-Farrell, Hosannah, Odour, Vieira, O’Connor, Diaz, Nicell, Machuca, Wilks, Balboa (Temenuzhkov 84), Stokes.  Subs not used: Male, Casey, Kamwa, McCalmont.

Venue: Thorp Arch