U18s Report: Wolves 1-2 Leeds United

Whites beaten away from home.

u18s banner.jpg

Premier League North

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2 (Esen 15’, Roberts 81’)

Leeds United 1 (Bradbury 9’)

Wolves: Arinbjornsson, Mabete, Hubner (Shahar 64’), Kaleta, Keto-Diyawa, Ojinnaka (Ashworth 57’), McLeod, Francis-Burrell, Esen, Roberts, Fraser (Reynolds 33’).

Leeds: Christy, Littlewood, Mullen, Debayo (Cline 82’), Coleman, Bradbury, Thomas, Ferguson, Spencer, Carole, Gray (Buchan 61’).

Scott Gardner’s Leeds United Under 18s side were beaten away from home on Saturday afternoon, at the Wolverhampton Wanderers training ground, despite taking the lead early on.

At a rain soaked academy pitch in the West Midlands, the Whites went into an early lead. Conor Ferguson’s cross was met by Luca Thomas who flicked a header against the post, before Lui Bradbury followed up on the rebound to open the scoring inside 10 minutes.

The lead was only short-lived though, as Wolves got back level. A scramble around the box saw the ball fall kindly for Josh Esen who raced through on goal and slotted comfortably into the back of the net to make it one apiece.

In what was becoming a first half with exchanging attacks, both Harry Christy in the Leeds goal and his opposite number for the hosts were called into action and they performed well to keep the scores level.

Ackeme Francis-Burrell struck the woodwork fro the home side, whilst Keenan Carole was continuing to cause problems for Leeds on the wing, but the teams went in level.

HALF TIME: Wolves 1-1 Leeds United

The hosts were on the front foot at the start of the second half and won an early penalty. Ferguson was adjudged to have tripped the lively Tyler Roberts and the referee had no hesitation pointing for a spot-kick.

Up stepped Aaron Keto-Diyawa, but Christy continued his fine form from the first half by guessing the right way and tipping the ball behind. The resulting corner was then also cleared and the match remained level.

As the rain continued to lash down, it created a slippy surface, but both teams were not looking to settle for a point and went in search of a winner to take three points into the international break.

Leeds came close through both Thomas and Bradbury again as Gardner’s side looked the most dangerous, whereas the hosts were always lively on the counter.

It was to be a late counter attack which saw the winner arrive. Down the right, first-half goalscorer Esen created the opportunity for Roberts, who struck home with a low shot. Christy did get a hand to the effort but the surface allowed the ball to sneak over the line.

Leeds kept searching and in stoppage time, with the last opportunity of the match, Joe Littlewood saw his header come back off the crossbar and the whilst went shortly after to give Wolves the points.

FULL TIME: Wolves 2-1 Leeds United

Venue: Sir Jack Hayward Training Ground

Referee: O. Yates

Booked: Francis-Burrell (Wolves)

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03