U18s Report: Liverpool 1-3 Leeds United

Another big victory against the Reds.

AAAA JM1.jpg

U18 Premier League North

Liverpool 1 (Morrison 76’)

Leeds United 3 (Pitt og 6’, McDonald 28’, Cotcher 45’)

Liverpool: Misciur (GK), Airoboma, Evers, Lucky (Furnell-Gill 46’), Pitt, K. Kelly, Morrison, Onanuga (Cowley 68’), Sonni-Lambie, Ahmed, Bradshaw (Martin 87’). Subs not used: Hall, Upton.

Leeds: Grainger (GK), Chadwick (Matykiewicz 63’), Cresswell, Billett, Cotcher (Brown 64’), Lopata-White, Vincent, Pickles, McDonald (Lane 46’), Dudley, H. Gray. Subs not used: Kenyon, Simo.

Venue: Liverpool FC Academy

Referee: Daniel McDonald

Booked: Airoboma, Morrison, Bradshaw (Liverpool) H. Gray, Brown (Leeds)

Leeds United Under-18s produced another excellent victory over Liverpool Under-18s on Saturday lunchtime, to continue their strong recent success over the Reds.

A first half own-goal was followed up by efforts from Josh McDonald and Mason Cotcher, before the hosts pulled one back in the second half.

However, Rob Etherington’s side had done enough and remained in control, sealing a big three points away from home and moving up to sixth place in the league standings.

Coming into the game, the two teams had met just a couple of weeks ago at Elland Road in the FA Youth Cup. The Whites had put in a commanding display on home turf and ran out 3-1 winners in that encounter, to progress into the semi-final.

Earlier in the season at Thorp Arch in the first meeting between the sides, Leeds had once again come out on top, with a convincing 4-1 victory on that occasion.

When this one got underway, Leeds raced into the lead after just six minutes. A good run and cross by Harvey Vincent caused danger in the box, from which Lucas Pitt turned into his own goal.

A clever run and finish from McDonald doubled the lead in the 28th minute. The winger had initially collected a pass from Reuben Lopata-White, he then pushed forward into the box, opened up his body and curled into the bottom corner.

Two soon became three, as Leeds found the net again just before half-time! The hosts attempted to clear the ball but Cotcher intercepted, took a touch out of his feet and smashed low into the bottom corner with his left-foot.

That goal sent the Whites in with a commanding three-goal advantage on Merseyside, in what had been an impressive opening 45 minutes.

HALF TIME: Liverpool 0-3 Leeds United

Marc Bridge-Wilkinson made changes at the interval in an attempt for his side to find a way back into the game in the second half, as did Rob Etherington for Leeds, in a bid to keep the advantage.

Looking for a response, the Reds had the first chance of the second half and went close through Pitt who has looking to atone for his first half own-goal, but his header went narrowly over the bar.

Still looking dangerous going forward, Harry Gray looked to make it four, but Kornel Misciur stood firm in the home goal to deny the attacker.

The Whites had looked to keep the ball and retain possession, whilst also keeping their three-goal advantage, but had moments in the game where they pushed forward looking for more.

However, it would be the hosts to next to find the net, pulling a goal back with just under 15 minutes to play. It was Kieran Morrison who burst into the United area, before finishing well with the angle narrowing.

The hard-working and clinical first half showing from Etherington’s side was enough, as they held on to claim another big three points in the league, with the full-time whistle confirming the win on the road.

FULL TIME: Liverpool 1-3 Leeds United

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03