U18s Report: Leeds United 0-2 Blackburn Rovers

Whites defeated at Thorp Arch.

18s banner.jpg

U18 Premier League North

Leeds United 0

Blackburn Rovers 2 (O’Grady 8’, Nsangou 25’)

Leeds: Mahady (GK), Dawber (Bird 60’), Toulson, Godden, Diboe, Buchan (Chadwick 60’), Richards, Chambers, Andreucci, McFadden (C), Vincent. Subs not used: Ombang (GK), Billet, Brown.

Rovers: Solomon (GK), Drury (C), Powell, Doherty, Atcheson, Worrell, Edmondson, Carrick (Shorrocks 90’), Nsangou, O’Grady, Bienik (Kitan 54’, Boggan 82’). Subs not used: Bell, Houghton.

Venue: Thorp Arch

Booked: Diboe (Leeds) Drury (Blackburn)

Leeds United Under-18s were beaten by Blackburn Rovers at Thorp Arch on Saturday afternoon, despite a spirited second half performance.

The visitors started the game the fastest of the two, and their high energy start was rewarded as they won themselves a penalty inside seven minutes.

Junior Nsangou was first to an under-hit pass towards Rory Mahady, Nsangou skipped past the United ‘keeper and in doing so, the striker was brought down in the box.

Nsangou took the resulting penalty but was denied thanks to a fantastic low save by Mahady, who made than made up for the penalty being given away.

Just one minute later, Blackburn did take the lead. James Edmonds clipped a deep corner towards Harley O’Grady and from just inside the area, he chested it down and volleyed into the top right corner.

Tom Atcheson will feel as though he should have put his side 2-0 up. Dominik Bienik delivered a right footed corner, Atcheson was unmarked just a few yards away from goal, but he couldn’t keep his headed effort down.

The away side were really proving to be a threat from set-pieces, as they found themselves two goals to the good inside 25 minutes. Bienik once again delivered a corner, this time Nsangou rose the highest to convert from close range.

Leeds were struggling to find a way out their half, but as the first 45 minutes ticked on, they grew into the game more. Max McFadden came closest to pulling a goal back for the Whites, as he stung the palms of Honor Solomon with an effort from range.

HALF TIME: Leeds United 0-2 Blackburn Rovers

After a difficult first half for the hosts, they were quick out the blocks in the second half as Harvey Vincent nearly pulled a goal back inside the first minute of the second half.

Jay Buchan drove at the heart of the Rovers defence, he released the ball to Vincent, who then cut inside onto his right foot and looked to curl the ball into the far corner, but it went agonisingly wide.

Just a minute later, Vincent went even closer when he hit the woodwork. He was first to react to a deflected cross, the winger got himself in front of his marker, scooped the ball goalwards, but his effort couldn’t beat the woodwork.

Leeds continued to pile the pressure on in the second half. Ben Andreucci intercepted a loose pass at the back and was through on goal, he unselfishly cut the ball back to McFadden, but a last-ditch tackle prevented the attacker from pulling a goal back.

The hosts were now firmly camped in the opposition half applying plenty of pressure, but were just lacking that cutting edge in front of goal.

Leeds once again created another golden opportunity, McFadden took a free kick and looped it towards the back post in the direction of Andreucci, he was unmarked at the back post and volleyed over from close range.

A much improved second half performance from the Whites, but ultimately it wasn’t enough as they fell to defeat at Thorp Arch. This result leaves Scott Gardner’s side 10th in the U18 Premier League North.

FULL TIME: Leeds United 0-2 Blackburn Rovers

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03