Report: Peterborough United 0-3 Leeds United

Whites progress in the cup!


Emirates FA Cup

Peterborough United 0

Leeds United 3 (Ampadu 35’, 90’, Bamford 47’)

Posh: Talley (GK), Katongo (Ajiboye 68’), Burrows (C), Edwards, Knight (De Havilland 85’), Mason-Clark, Poku (Fernandez 68’), Randall (Crichlow 85’), Jones (Mothersille 68’), Kyprianou, Collins. Subs not used: Steer (GK), Fuchs, Wakeling, Mills.

Leeds: Klaesson (GK), Firpo, Ampadu (C), Piroe (Joseph 90’), Bamford (Poveda 86’), Anthony (Kamara 86’), Rodon, Shackleton (Ayling 78’), Gray, Gnonto (James 85’), Gruev. Subs not used: Van den Heuvel (GK), Cooper, Summerville, Rutter.

Referee: Sam Allison

Booked: Knight (Posh) Gnonto, Ampadu (Leeds)

Venue: Weston Homes Stadium

Attendance: 12,927

Leeds United progressed safely through to the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round, with a comfortable victory over Peterborough United away from home.

Inside the opening five minutes, Daniel Farke’s side had two early chances. Patrick Bamford powered a header just past the post from a corner, before moments later, Archie Gray forced a good save from Fynn Talley in the home net.

Talley was then tested again, just a minute or so later. Willy Gnonto whipped in an excellent cross and Bamford was there to head at goal once more, with the ‘keeper making another good stop.

Peterborough did then grow into the match and had chances of their own. Ephron Mason-Clark looked lively down the left-wing and created openings for his side.

Two players able to strike on goal for the Posh were Ricky-Jade Jones and Kwame Poku, but from both attempts, the Leeds defence stood firm and cleared.

Gnonto continued to cause chaos for the hosts at the other end and when approaching the area, he was brought down, with a free-kick awarded.

Jaidon Anthony whipped the set-play into the box and Bamford was there to meet it, with the ball then falling perfectly for Ethan Ampadu to strike home and find the bottom corner, putting Leeds ahead.

Before the break, the Whites felt they should have had the opportunity to double the lead. Bamford again was heavily involved, before Gnonto picked the ball up and appeared to be brought down in the box, but nothing was given.

In a well-contested and entertaining first half, it was Farke’s side who went into the dressing room with a one-goal advantage when the whistle was blown.

HALF TIME: Peterborough United 0-1 Leeds United

Out for the final 45 minutes at the Weston Homes Stadium, Leeds made the perfect start to the second half.

With pinpoint accuracy, Ampadu played a long ball forward to Bamford and he controlled with his chest, before firing an unbelievable volley into the top right corner and doubling the lead!

The Whites then won a free-kick, 20 yards from goal, left of centre, with Anthony seeing his strike deflect narrowly wide, as they looked to further extend their lead.

Anthony again went close just before the hour mark when the ball fell kindly to him in the Peterborough box and he saw a well hit volley, denied by Talley.

In a chance for the home side, Ampadu brought down Ricky Jade-Jones on the edge of the Leeds box, right of centre, picking up a caution and Harrison Burrows fired the free-kick inches over the crossbar for the hosts.

Mason-Clark then delivered a good cross for the hosts, which found substitute David Ajiboye, but he could only turn his first-time effort wide.

Gray looked to make it three for the Whites in the 74th minute, striking just over from the edge of the box, before Peterborough broke forward and Mason-Clark fired just wide from range in another chance for the Blues.

Kris Klaesson was then called upon in the Whites goal. Ajiboye did well down the right flank and his deflected cross was well saved by the Leeds stopper.

The Whites sealed the win on the stroke of full time, when Ampadu headed home his second of the game, to secure Leeds a passage to the fourth round.

FULL TIME: Peterborough United 0-3 Leeds United

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03